Monday, January 13, 2014

Globes, Schlobes.

Judging from the many Facebook posts last night and into today, many of you watched the Golden Globes. I too jumped at the chance to marvel at the beautiful dresses and see the movies I should be watching. Being the old lady that I am, I have noticed that I tend to be so far out of the pop culture loop that I unfortunately have no idea what the kids are up to these days. So last night, determined to be in the know, I poured a margarita and began watching the much anticipated award show.

I began by watching the red carpet, because really, that's the most interesting part. I have no shame in oohing over dresses, screaming OMG! she's so skinny! and seeing who is a hot mess and who is so perfect I obviously hate her. However, I barely made it ten minutes in before I became so enraged that steam started coming out of my ears and tequila sweat seeped through my pores. Ryan Seacrest was interviewing Cate Blanchett and asked her how much her entire ensemble cost. "Oh I don't know," she regally purred. In a completely blase, this is so beneath me voice she then followed up with (and I'm paraphrasing), "$20,000? I have a lot of security guards following me."

Well color me red, I was beyond irritated. I have no problem with rich people. Good for them. In fact, I hope to be a rich people some day. But is it necessary to ask someone how much their whole outfit costs? Duh. It's obviously super expensive. The woman is dripping in Armani and fine jewels. Her ensemble costs more than what the average American makes in a year, folks. But that's not my issue. I just don't understand when it became appropriate to ask the super rich famous person to advertise just how much their outfit is worth and when we became so eager to know.

And even more infuriating was the response to the question. The I'm so above this question, money is entirely disposable, I can hardly be bothered to know the cost answer. I'm sure that perhaps she did not want to disclose the amount for fear of being thought of as boastful, but it came across as completely arrogant and out of touch and it made me drink my cheap pre-made Costco margarita in a fitful rage. And did I mention I was wearing pajamas I bought on Groupon? Just to add insult to injury. I suggest that perhaps she should have said something quirky and hilarious to offset the elitest question so that I could have snuggled back down into the sofa, content to put my Target slipper clad feet up on my discount furniture store coffee table.

Then, just when I was rambling on in righteous indignation to my husband, a Bing commercial came on highlighting everyday women who were this year's heroes. The commercial included Malala Yousafzai, women serving in the United States military, and Margaret Thatcher just to name a few. I got to thinking, why don't we have an awards show highlighting the everyday person who made an incredible difference? They can show up on a red carpet and be decked out in the finest fashions and be honored for doing something amazing. I promise I won't wave a judgmental fist in their direction and rant on about the nature of their condescending responses to absolutely ridiculous questions because perhaps they would be asked about topics of substance.

That would be worth watching. But then, I suppose, I would have nothing to babble on about.


No comments:

Post a Comment