Tuesday, September 16, 2014

A Pink Lemonade Celebration

Let's have a little party, we said.

We'll keep it simple, we promised.

It's just her first birthday, we reasoned. She won't even remember it.

Five bazillion dollars and several new gray hairs later, the baby terrorist had her first rager, complete with a homemade lemonade stand.

I'm not sure what happened, but I found myself drunk with first birthday fever. It's not everyday that we get to celebrate the fact that we kept a little tiny terrorist alive for an entire year. An entire year! If that doesn't constitute spending a ridiculous amount of money on the cutest cupcake toppers you ever did see, then you obviously haven't spent many a sleepless night staring helplessly at a screaming baby, scratching your head and maybe even crying yourself because you just don't know what the heck that child needs. How about that time I endured the greatest pooptastrophe of all time? That alone validated my need to throw money at a ridiculous number of pink garland. Oh, and remember that time I sucked the very snot out of my baby's nose? Well, I don't mind if I do have six thousand Instagram photos printed of the little terrorist, paste them onto fancy construction paper and obsessively hang them around the house. I still have PTSD from the terrorist's epic meltdown at the post office, so buying enough pink and yellow candy to keep us buzzed for a year only seemed logical.

I decided to throw the baby a pink lemonade themed first birthday party. Since I have a handy husband who likes to escape to the backyard for hours at a time, I tasked him with building a lemonade stand. He exceeded all expectations with this cute little number!

I bought the ridiculously cute tutu and onesie ensemble from Gentry's Closet. As you can see, the birthday girl is pretty stoked about her awesome lemonade stand.

I went a little wild with the Instagram pictures, but they made for such easy and cute decor that I couldn't help myself. I printed them using the app Printicular. You can have them delivered to your home or printed at Walgreens. I totally got carried away and decided that I needed to buy fancy schmancy scissors, glue the pictures onto pink and yellow construction paper, and give them cute borders. I luckily had very quiet evenings after the baby went to bed because my husband was traveling for work. I spent many a night watching (and judging) the Real Housewives, drinking wine, and cutting out pictures. Really, if we're being honest, that's how I spend most of my nights anyway!




I made pink lemonade cupcakes and found these super cute cupcake toppers from Scrappin' Ashley on Etsy. I am no baker, so I agonized over these damn cupcakes! They might not have been the prettiest things ever, but the frosting was amazing.

I even made the baby terrorist a giant cupcake for her cake smash. I used the world's largest cupcake mold to make it, and it took two whole boxes of cake mix. For spending the last year engaging in terrorist tactics never seen before, she was quite the little lady when it came to that cupcake. She daintily put a finger in the frosting, and took little bird bites. She was also very thoughtful when it came to sharing her cupcake, and was more than happy to indulge her parents and her pooch.




No party is complete without a candy bar. Did you know that you can buy just pink and yellow jelly beans on Amazon? I can't even explain how excited that made me.When did I become such a nerd? I enlisted the help of my fabulous sister, owner of Dolly's Sweet Dreams Cotton Candy, to sweeten up the candy bar. I can come up with cute ideas, but I am the worst when it comes to cuteness execution. That's where my sister came in. Each guest got to take home a bag of candy as a party favor. Can you tell I am new at this motherhood thing? Who in their right mind sends children home with a bag of sugar? It's no wonder  I have a baby terrorist. Instant karma.


Here are a few more fun photos from her party.

I now understand why the second birthday party is way more understated than the first. This was exhausting and expensive, but it was so worth the celebration. It's not everyday that you get to graduate from baby terrorist to toddler terrorist with so much pink and yellow.


No comments:

Post a Comment